Simple Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
A Fancy-Schmancy Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizer
Welcome to the new, revamped Foodnista Soul site. We’re highlighting vegetarian stuffed mushrooms that I made for a class assignment in my online culinary program at Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. This appetizer was delectable. The mushrooms were tasty, and the stuffing mixture was light and heavenly. It was comforting and delicious.
Those who aren’t mushroom lovers may have a change of heart and enjoy this starter very much. I haven’t been a fan of mushrooms for decades, but I was in love after making and trying the vegetarian stuffed mushrooms! I’m slowly starting to incorporate mushrooms back into my diet. Hello, ‘shrooms!
Appetizers are known to stir up one’s appetite. They’re small dishes served before your main course (Fix Me a Snack, 2022). It’s been referenced that they’re conversation starters. And let me say that these vegetarian stuffed mushrooms were the talk of the town!
Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe & Equipment
Yields: 3 servings
- 12 large organic white mushrooms
- 1 small organic red bell pepper, small dice
- ¼ medium organic onion, minced
- 1 organic green onion, minced
- 1 organic garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Baking pan
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Paper towels
- Sanitize kitchen (sink, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, smart devices, computer).
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Clean mushrooms and separate caps and stems.
- Clean and cut onions, bell pepper, garlic, green onions, and parsley.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet stem side down and bake until the liquid forms under mushroom caps.
- After liquid begins to form, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Use paper towels to soak excess liquid from mushrooms.
- Mince mushroom caps and stems.
- Mix with onions, bell pepper, garlic, green onions, and parsley.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan.
- Add mixture into the pan and sauté.
- Add the oregano, salt, and pepper. Sauté for five minutes until onions and bell pepper are tender.
- Transfer the stuffing mix to a bowl and cool.
- Add parsley, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Mix it well.
- Place the mushroom stem side up on the baking sheet and fill them with the stuffing.
- Bake until the stuffing is golden brown. Serve warm.
‘Shrooms and Health Benefits
According to the UCLA Health Connect (2022), mushrooms provide plenty of health benefits. One health advantage prevalent to me is that mushrooms safeguard our brains. A study in Singapore reported that eating two cups of mushrooms weekly decreases the development of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) by half or 50%.
As a professional working with clients with cognitive impairment and dementia, I’ve witnessed how the decrease in cognitive function leaves a person feeling confused, frustrated, anxious, and helpless. It’s essential to be proactive and take care of our brain health.
Mushrooms have become popular in recent years. When I traveled to Japan in 2019, I bought a box of shiitake mushroom tea. Tea! I was so intrigued. It tasted light and refreshing, considering I wasn’t a fan of mushrooms then.
There are many brands of mushroom supplements on the market. One eminent medicinal mushroom is lion’s mane. This supplement may benefit those with cognitive impairment (Wong, 2020). All the more to eat them ‘shrooms!
A New Site, New Beginnings, New Escapade
New adventures will be everchanging on the horizon throughout this exciting journey. I’m excited to share pescatarian and vegetarian recipes and dishes that focus on health and wellness. This topic has become dear to my heart in the last several years, as these components make up a wholesome and vigorous lifestyle.
I want to take this moment to say thank you for all your love and support. My heart is whole, and I’m so appreciative of y’all.
Fix Me a Snack (2022). What is the history of appetizers? Retrieved: https://fixmeasnack.com/what-is-the-history-of-appetizers/
UCLA Health (2022). 7 Health benefits of mushrooms. Retrieved: https://connect.uclahealth.org/2022/01/24/7-health-benefits-of-mushrooms/
Wong, C. (2020). The health benefits of lion’s mane. Retrieved: https://www.verywellmind.com/the-benefits-of-lions-mane-89474