Satisfy Your Tummy With An Easy Cali Sushi Rice Bowl
Cali Sushi Rice Bowl Satisfaction
Want to satisfy your tummy with an easy Cali sushi rice bowl recipe? Yeah, you do!
I had the privilege of making this hearty dish in my culinary program during our World Cuisines block. I was so excited to make a dish representing my Japanese heritage. Moreover, I also enjoyed using my new food cutout set that my colleagues had given me for my birthday last year to create a fun plating display.
Cali Sushi Rice Bowl Recipe & Equipment
Yields: 2 servings
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 cups purified water
- 2 ½ tablespoons organic rice vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 oz. crab sticks, thinly shredded
- ½ organic carrots, julienne cut
- ½ organic cucumber, thinly sliced half-moons
- ½ organic avocado, pitted, thinly sliced
- ½ sliced nori, julienne
- 1 teaspoon organic white sesame seeds
- Spicy mayo sauce
- 1 tablespoon organic mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Measuring bowls, cups, and spoons
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Food scale
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Saucepot with lid
- Wooden spoon
- Big glass Pyrex bowl
- Rice paddle
- Sanitize kitchen (sink, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, phone, computer).
- Wash and peel carrots.
- Julienne carrots.
- Thinly slice and half-moon cucumbers.
- Thinly slice avocado.
- Julienne nori sheet.
- Thinly shred crab sticks.
- Wash rice in a pot until water runs clear when it’s poured out.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Add one cup of fresh water to the pot with rice.
- Place pot on the stove and turn to high heat.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and rest for an additional 10 minutes. Do not disturb the pot.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepot.
- Heat over low heat to dissolve the sugar and salt and mix well with the vinegar.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large bowl.
- Fold in ¼ of the vinegar mixture with the rice.
- Repeat the process until all the vinegar mixture is utilized. The rice will then have a glossy appearance.
- Place some of the rice in another small bowl and garnish with toppings.
- Mix the mayo and sriracha together.
- Drizzle onto the sushi bowl dish or serve on the side with shoyu (aka soy sauce).
- Eat immediately.