Housemade Hummus Winner Recipe
Housemade Hummus, For the Win!
I’ve tried many store-bought hummuses, but nothing tastes better than making your own from scratch. I was excited and proud of the outcome of this appetizer. It was a hit in my household.
Let’s dive right into the recipe and cooking instructions.
- 1 can of organic chickpeas with ½ cup of liquid reserved
- 1.5 fluid ounce of fresh organic lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 organic garlic cloves, crushed (I add a little more because I LOVE garlic)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Organic black pepper, as needed
- Organic extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Organic paprika, as needed
- Measuring bowls, cups, and spoons
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Glass juicer
- Food processor
- Can opener
- Airtight container
- Sanitize the kitchen (including the sink, faucets, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, smart devices, and computer).
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve half of the liquid.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Wash and juice lemons.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Put chickpeas and liquid in a food processor.
- Blend until semi-smooth.
- With the motor running, add the lemon juice.
- Add the tahini, garlic, and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season as needed.
- Garnish with olive oil and paprika.
Store-Bought Hummus Faves
Hummus is in my refrigerator whenever I need a healthy snack. I pair them with crackers, carrots, or apples. Sometimes, I’ll eat them in spoonfuls. Even though I mentioned housemade is the best, here are a couple of store brands I enjoy.