Foodnista Soul Vegan Feijoada Recipe
What is Feijoada?
Feijoada (pronounced “fay-zhoo-ah-dah”) is a Brazilian stew served with pork, beans, and oranges. The version presented in today’s post is vegan. I call it ‘Pork’ and Beans, 2.0.
I made the traditional version in culinary school. I learned from one of my chef instructors that feijoada was known to be a “peasant” dish. Well, it was a darn good peasant dish! Check out the recipe.
Yields: 4 servings
- 8 ounces organic dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 8 ounces organic plant-based bacon, chopped (traditional recipe uses regular bacon)
- 4 ounces organic plant-based chorizo, chopped (traditional recipe uses regular chorizo)
- 4 ounces organic yellow onion, peeled, small dice
- 4 ounces organic green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 ounce organic garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 organic scallions, white part only, sliced
- 1/4 cup organic cilantro, chopped
- 1 organic tomato, finely diced
- 1 organic carrot, peeled, oblique cut
- 2 organic bay leaves
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Organic black pepper, as needed
- Organic orange, peeled, sliced, as needed
- Organic starch of choice (white or brown rice or quinoa)
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Food scale
- Wooden spoon
- Serving spoon
- Sanitize the kitchen (sink, faucets, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, smart devices, computer, etc.).
- Pour dried black beans into a bowl and fill with purified water.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Peel and dice onion.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse, peel (carrots), and cut the vegetables to their appropriate sizes.
- Rinse, peel, and slice the orange.
- Chop meats (bacon and chorizo).
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and cover with purified water.
- Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until the beans are tender.
- Taste and season as needed.
- Pour into bowls and serve over your starch of choice and orange slices.