Easy Crunchy Vegan Falafel Appetizer Recipe
Crunchy Vegan Falafel Appetizer Satisfaction
In my Farm-to-Table course at Escoffier School of Culinary Arts, we learned about methods and ingredients used in vegan and vegetarian diets and dishes. Not only are they healthy, but extremely delicious and enjoyable.
The main ingredient of falafels is chickpeas or garbanzo beans (they’re the same thing). They’re seasoned with various spices and fresh herbs. Moreover, they’re deep-fried to create that outer layered crunch. Yum! The sound of this crunch is so satisfying, making these falafel deep-fried balls so addicting. Falafels can be served alone or with pita bread and dipped sauces like hummus and tzatziki.
Vegan Falafel Recipe & Equipment
Yields 4 servings
- 8 ounces organic dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans (canned chickpeas will not work with this recipe. It will result in the falafels being too soft and crumbly. They will not stay intact.)
- 2 chopped organic garlic cloves
- 1 ½ ounce chopped organic green onions
- ¼ ounce chopped organic fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon organic ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon organic black pepper
- Organic canola oil, as needed
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Food scale
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Cookie dough scooper
- Slotted spoon
- Baking sheet
- Paper towels
- Sanitize kitchen (sink, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, phone, computer).
- Rinse and soak dried chickpeas in a sealed container overnight.
- Replenish the container with water if needed.
- Wash the green onions and parsley
- Chop the garlic, green onion, and parsley.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Drain the chickpeas after it has soaked overnight.
- Place them in a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well, but not to a paste consistency.
- Preheat a pot of oil to 350ºF.
- Using a cookie dough scooper, measure the mixture and form them into balls, making sure the balls are intact. They shouldn’t crumble or fall apart.
- Line the baking sheet with paper towels.
- Deep-fry the falafels until they are golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the golden deep-fried balls from the pot of oil and place them on the lined paper towel baking sheet.
- Serve with pita bread, hummus, and tzatziki sauce.
It’s Juneteenth, and Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers, grandpas, uncles, father figures, and fathers-to-be. Relax and unwind today!