Delicious Recipe of Artichoke Cakes
Artichoke Cakes, the perfect appetizer
Our final culinary school assignment before winter break in 2021 was assembling and pan-frying these delicious artichoke cakes. I enjoy eating artichokes but have never cooked with them. My favorite part has always been eating the leaf tips and tossing the unedible pieces in the trash. Artichokes are so unique.
Recipe & Kitchen Equipment
Yields: 10 cakes
- 8 ounce canned organic artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
- 1 ounce organic onion, small dice
- 1 ounce organic red/green bell pepper, small dice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 organic egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Organic pepper, to taste
- Organic canola oil, as needed
- Measuring bowls, cups, and spoons
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Mixing bowl
- Sauté pan
- Wooden spoon
- Food scale
- Sanitize kitchen (sink, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, phone, computer).
- Drain and cut artichokes, and wash and cut onions and bell peppers.
- Mise en place ingredients.
- Sweat onions and bell pepper in a sauté pan over moderately high heat. Cool completely.
- Gently combine artichokes, onions, bell peppers, mayonnaise, egg, dijon mustard, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Form into 3 oz patties.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over moderately high heat.
- Add artichoke cakes and cook until golden on the bottom.
- Flip and brown the other side.
- Remove from the pan and season with salt if needed.
- Serve immediately.