Amazing Black Bean Burger Patties
Black Bean Burger Patties are IN!
Vegan burger patties have become popular over the years as a healthier alternative to traditional meat burgers. I made black bean burger patties in my farm-to-table culinary course a few months ago. I was hesitant to try it because I haven’t been the biggest fan of eating beans. However, since culinary school, I’ve learned to enjoy beans, specifically this black bean burger patty. Mmm, mmm!
Recipe & Kitchen Equipment
Yields: 4 servings
- 16 ounces organic canned black beans, rinsed and drained.
- 2 ounces organic small dice tomatoes (remove seeds)
- ½ ounce minced organic yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon minced organic garlic
- ½ ounce minced organic jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons fresh organic lime juice
- ½ of an organic onion, sliced
- ¾ ounce organic cornmeal
- 1 ½ ounce all-purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Organic canola oil, as needed
- Organic whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Sliced organic tomatoes, as needed
- Organic romaine lettuce, as needed
- Organic mustard, as needed (optional)
- Organic mayo, as needed (optional)
- Organic pickles (optional)
- Mixing bowls/cups/spoons for mise en place ingredients
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Food scale
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Glass juicer
- Food processor
- Frying pan
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Sanitize kitchen (sink, countertops, stovetop/oven, cupboard handles, phone, computer).
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Wash tomatoes, jalapeño, lime, and lettuce.
- Slice and dice tomatoes.
- Slice onions.
- Mince onions, garlic, and jalapeño.
- Juice lime.
- Mise en place ingredients
- Purée the beans in a food processor. Leave the texture coarse.
- Add all the ingredients and purée with the bean mixture.
- Refrigerate for two hours.
- Prepare mayo/mustard spread.
- Put buns in a toaster.
- Plate buns.
- Spread mayo/mustard on buns
- Diving the mixture into fourths.
- Heat oil in a pan over moderately high heat.
- Wet hands before forming patties (½” thick)
- Pan-fry the patties for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Sauté onions.
- Slice pickles.
- Serve on a bun with mayo/mustard spread; add tomato slice, lettuce, and onions.