This week, we’re exploring the local grinds on the island of Maui, one of my favorite islands away from home. Maui holds a special place in my heart because my mom was from there. I have lovely memories staying at my maternal grandparents’ house in Wailuku and visiting with relatives whenever I’d visit. As a child, we got our second dog from Maui. His name was Charlie. Boy, was he a menace. But he was a good watch dog. Always protecting us and our family home.
Several years ago, I got to try the famous Sam Sato’s in Wailuku. It’s a small, family-owned business. The restaurant gets pretty crowded, but the wait is worth it. They’re known for their dried noodles. This week’s featured image has a variety of popular dishes from Sam Sato’s: dried noodles, saimin (similar to ramen), cheeseburger, and BBQ beef stick. Can I say, ahhh-mazing? Loved all the food. It was so yummy. It hit the spot.
These days when I visit Maui, I like to play tourist. My favorite places to visit are:
- Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm
- It’s a beautiful and peaceful place, full of zen and nature.
- Maui Ocean Center
- I always love going to an aquarium.
- Mmm, wine! Can you say wino? MauiWine is not too far from the lavender farm.
- Sightseeing in Lāhainā/Front Street
- I love Lāhainā and walking through Front Street. I love seeing the largest Banyan tree in the U.S.
- Tasaka Guri Guri
- My childhood favorite snack. This is a must have every time I visit. Guri guri is a dessert that’s between an ice cream and sherbet. Tasaka’s has two flavors: strawberry and pineapple. Both are quenching, but my favorite is the strawberry. Strawberry, all the way!
- Whaler’s Village
- A beautiful shopping mall in Lāhainā, with yummy restaurants, like Leilani’s on the Beach. Have a meal and a drink while watching the sunset fronting the beach.
My friend and her family recently visited Maui and told me about her visit to the goat farm. She shared how fun it was. That’s on my travel list the next time I’m in town again. Surfing Goat Dairy|Maui Goat Farm. I LOVE goat cheese and can’t wait to try them fresh. Yum!
Next time you’re in Maui, visit all these cool places, including Sam Sato’s:
1750 Wili Pa Loop
Travel safely! Wear your mask!